So yesterday, I did the least likely thing any Torontonian would do, I went to a Jays Game. Maybe it was the ten dollar beer or the rantings of an angry man sitting behind us (at one point in the game he actually told the other team to "die already") but it was indeed nine dollars (and three hours) well spent.For nine dollars I was able to have a decent view of the game, yell at others, get harassed by a 12 year old girl and see someone get escorted by security. The best thing about a baseball game? All of the above behavior is not only acceptable, I dare to say that it's encourage. That's right, the Skydome (what's the Rogers Center?) is a place where you are encouraged to be as obnoxious and drunk as possible. And the best way to join in on teh fun is to follow the crowd, have no mind of your own, yell when they yell, boo when they boo and "wave" when they wave.
Is it wrong that there's some sort of peace in knowing that the only social expectation you have is to misbehave along with others or even better yet outstage them? Next time you go to a game chant something rediculous and see how many people follow you without even thinking. Or yell out something completely random and see how many people cheer you on. (Last night I yelled out, "Peperoni!", which was well received.) Not only is it entertaining, it's nine dollars well spent.
At the Jays game, even the children have no social boundaries. In front of my seats there were two children sitting with their father. They kept asking me questions (as children often seem to do) about who my favorite player was, do I go to games often and so forth. (As a side note, the father never turned around in his seat nor did he say one word to either us or is children during the whole game.)
The little girl started to talk to us about video games, as children often do, and showed me and my roomate Mallory her Nintendo DS. "How cool," I said (or something similar to that effect). Then she asked Mallory if she liked the game Zelda. Now Mallory not only loves Zelda she has a triforce tattoo on her back, so naturally Mallory said, "I love it". At this point, the litt
le girl started to make fun of her for liking such a "childish" game, told her to go to Value Village and then questioned the size of her brain. Seeing my friend get burned by a 12 year old girl? Nine dollars well spent.(She also said that my friend Nathan, see picture left, was only half a man.)
To make the whole night complete the game ended with the croud chanting, "Pizza" (we were one strikout away from winning a free slice of Pizza Pizza), a man walking past us with 'I love BJ's' written on his face followed by the little girl yelling, "Even I know what that means!" and the Jays winning. All in all, nine dollars well spent.
No comments:
Post a Comment